Italy

Last Race: 07th Sep Italy

Italy GP Results
Pos Driver
1 Lewis Hamilton
2 Nico Rosberg
3 Felipe Massa

'Sutil decision not based on case'

Saturday 4th February 2012

Share:

'Sutil decision not based on case'

'Sutil decision not based on case'

Force India have denied that the decision not to re-sign Adrian Sutil was because of his court case, saying it was performance based.

Despite putting in a solid showing in the latter half of last year's Championship, Force India opted not to extend Sutil's stay.

Instead, they dropped the German in favour of test driver Nico Hulkenberg, who will partner Paul di Resta this season.

The team's decision, though, came in the wake of the announcement that Sutil would be tried in a German court for causing bodily harm during an incident in a Shanghai nightclub last April.

Sutil has subsequently been found guilty and was handed an 18-month suspended sentence.

"It was a very difficult decision," said Force India's deputy team principal Bob Fernley.

"Adrian did have an exceptional season, he is an extremely talented driver, and as importantly an extremely nice person who fitted in well with the team.

"But we had to look at where we felt our long-term strengths lay. Adrian had been with us for a number of years, and we genuinely believed the future with us was with Paul and Nico.

"We looked at it very carefully. It wasn't something we rushed into, but we had very clear ideas as to where we wanted to build the team for the future.

"It was a close decision, and we felt it was time for Adrian to gain experience outside of Force India.

"We also looked at the whole package, in terms of his raw speed, what he was doing for the team in terms of feedback, knowledge and everything else, and we felt Nico edged it."

It remains to be seen whether Sutil, who will not be in Formula One this season, will have a future in the sport.

"I'm disappointed for Adrian because I don't think he deserves it, he doesn't have a bad thought or bone in his body. It wasn't typical of him at all," said Fernley.

"What I am not sure of, and we've not been able to take it in yet, is what the impact will be on his racing career.

"I don't think it will affect him totally, but sponsors and everybody else might have some different views.

"From our point of view it wouldn't have affected us. Vijay and (primary team sponsors) Sahara are strong enough to be able to say what we want is talent, he made a mistake, he's been judged, and we'll go on.

"However, I don't know how other teams will look at it, and I also don't know the legal implications, such as 'can he go into China?'

"They are things we would have to understand if he was with us."

Formula 1 Arrives In Singapore

Editor's Picks

Getting To Know Mr Marchionne

Getting To Know Mr Marchionne

Ferrari fans needn't be worried about new boss Sergio Marchionne - he comes with a pedigree of turning round businesses...

Highlights Of Luca's Tenure

Highlights Of Luca's Tenure

Luca di Montezemolo is Ferrari through and through, from spending time as Enzo Ferrari's assistant to assuming control in 1991...

Tin Foil Hats At The Ready

Tin Foil Hats At The Ready

Twice this season Lewis Hamilton has accused Nico Rosberg of deliberately making a mistake. Was Monza number three?

Winners and Losers: Italian GP

Winners and Losers: Italian GP

Andrew Davies tuned into the latest episode of the 'Lewis vs Nico' drama, and he wasn't disappointed...

PlanetF1 Fantasy League

PlanetF1 Fantasy League

The season may be underway but you can still enter the PlanetF1 Fantasy League and win prizes on a race-by-race basis...