Sauber test driver Robin Frijns says he may miss out on GP2 this season due to financial constraints.
Frijns claimed the 2012 Formula Renault 3.5 title, earning himself a test driver role with the Sauber Formula One team for this year.
That, though, may prove to be the Dutchman's only role for this season as he has revealed he doesn't have the sponsorship needed to secure a GP2 race-seat.
"Everybody knows that GP2 would be the most logical step for me," Frijns told GPUpdate.net.
"The problem is, I do not have the money. Another year in the World Series would be totally illogical. But I don't even have the budget for that.
"I could only compete in the World Series last year with the money I won for claiming the Formula Renault 2.0 title."
The lack of a race-seat could cost the 21-year-old as in-season testing is banned in Formula One meaning his only opportunities to drive a car could be in Friday practice sessions.
But whether or not he'll replace either Nico Hulkenberg or Esteban Gutierrez remains to be seen.
"That I do not know. I will be at the Sauber factory late in January, then we'll see.
"Whether I am allowed to driver in a few Friday practice sessions is not yet certain, that should all be discussed. I will spend a lot of time with the team this year and go to all the briefings. I will learn a lot from this."