Sergio Perez says he is a "stronger" driver after his horrific accident in last year's Monaco Grand Prix.
Last year, which was his first season in Formula One, Perez crashed in qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix.
The Mexican racer lost control of his Sauber exiting the tunnel section, swung right and crashed into the barrier before sliding across the chicane and slamming side-on into the TecPro barrier.
Perez suffered a sprained thigh and concussion, which kept him out of the Sunday race and also sidelined him two weeks later in Canada.
The 22-year-old, though, is eager to return to Monaco, hoping this time round for a very different result.
"This grand prix is the most special one for me," Perez said.
"I have been waiting to race in the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix all my life and, of course, after what happened last year I am looking forward to it even more.
"I strongly believe on this track the driver can make more of a difference than on any other track.
"As a team we are in good shape and I want to keep that momentum for Monaco. I also think our car can perform quite well on that unique city circuit."
He added: "Of course I also think back to the accident I had in Q3 last year. To me it is like a watershed event in my career," he said.
"There is a time before and a time after the accident.
"I learnt a lot from what I had to go through and I think it made me stronger. I really want to show what I can do in Monte Carlo."