Monisha Kaltenborn has ruled out running Sergey Sirotkin in this year's Friday practices despite potentially putting him in the car next season.
Having signed a deal with several Russian backers earlier this month, Sirotkin is expected to race for the Sauber F1 team in next year's Championship.
The team, though, has ruled out the possibility of already giving the 17-year-old some track this season.
"We have to see what kind of possibilities we have [for Sirotkin's development]," Kaltenborn told Autosport.
"I know it was mentioned about Fridays, but that is not going to be an option because he doesn't have the superlicence as well.
"We will find other ways which are certainly there to get him that mileage, and [make sure] that he is ready next year to race for us."
As for questions about the Russian's teenager's age, the team boss insists Sauber can handle the situation and nurture the youngster.
"We know what responsibility we have," she said. "We have been in similar situations before, although maybe not with such a young driver.
"We take the responsibility very seriously and we would like to do our best to prepare him. Now he, of course, has to fulfil certain criteria and we will do our best to make sure he can do that.
"I think the most important thing [to say] is that we are not here to harm him. We will see how things go, and the people on the other side are equally aware of risk and responsibilities."