Jean-Eric Vergne is adamant he could replace Mark Webber next season despite not been given a Red Bull run during the recent Young Driver Test.
While Vergne was left out in the cold, Ricciardo spent half of Thursday putting in laps at the Silverstone circuit behind the wheel of Red Bull's RB9.
The brief test put the Australian at the head of the list to replace Webber next season should Red Bull fail in their bid to sign Kimi Raikkonen from Lotus.
In fact such is Ricciardo's lead over his team-mate Vergne, that team boss Christian Horner recently conceded to Sky Sports News that it is "probably" a two-horse race between the Aussie and Raikkonen.
Vergne, however, insists he's not giving up and believes he still has a chance of making the step from Toro Rosso to Red Bull.
"I still believe in my chances," the Frenchman told Autosport. "There is of course a chance. I would love to drive for Red Bull.
"But so far it makes no sense for me to think about it. It won't help me."
As for his team-mate's Red Bull test, he said: "It's been a big story for him of course. It's normal.
"I don't want to think about anything for next year, any chance that I could go to Red Bull Racing whatsoever.
"You lose focus, and you lose some energy, so I want to keep it all for this year with Toro Rosso."
However, should Red Bull opt for someone other than him to replace Webber, Vergne hopes they will pick his current team-mate as this would also look good for him.
"If they have made their mind up that it should be between Daniel and Raikkonen, I would definitely prefer Daniel to go there.
"That is quite good for me because I can beat him. I did it this year when I didn't have problems.
"Then I just have to show the right people that it was not a one-off."