Nico Hulkenberg will swap Force India for Sauber next season with the Swiss squad finally confirming his signature...
Nico Hulkenberg will swap Force India for Sauber next season with the Swiss squad finally confirming his signature on Wednesday.
The German has widely been mooted for a move to Hinwil following McLaren's decision to sign Sergio Perez from Sauber, but both parties have stayed tight-lipped until now.
Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn confirmed that they have had their eye on Hulkenberg, who has spent the last two seasons at Force India, for quite some time now.
"We've been observing Nico for some time now and his performances have been very persuasive," she said. "That was the case in GP2 and has continued into Formula 1.
"An obvious highlight was how he scored pole at Interlagos in 2010 despite the most challenging external conditions.
"He clearly showed that he can seize the chance if it arises. But high spots like that are one thing; systematic teamwork is another - and on that score I have confidence in Nico too. I'm sure he will fit in very well with the Sauber F1 team. We look forward to working together with him."
Hulkenberg made his Formula One debut with Williams in 2010 before spending the 2011 season as the reserve and test driver with Force India. The Silverstone squad handed him a race seat for this season and he has impressed, picking up 49 points so far.
"I'm really looking forward to working with the Sauber F1 Team," the 25-year-old said.
"It's a well-placed team and very competitive.
"Plus it's a team in which young drivers have repeatedly delivered exceptional performances. I would like to take up that baton.
"The Sauber F1 Team is currently going through a very positive development and I'm certain that together we can achieve a lot.
"Until that time I will remain fully focused on my job with the Sahara Force India Team. I'd like to thank the management at Sahara Force India for giving me the chance to return to Formula One as a team driver."