Alesi advises Massa to stay away from F1

Date published: January 3 2017

Former Ferrari driver Jean Alesi has advised Felipe Massa not to return to Williams for one more season after announcing his retirement last year.

Massa could make a shock return to Formula 1 as Williams don’t want to have a completely new drivers’ line-up if Valtteri Bottas ends up at Mercedes, which is looking very likely.

Adding to the speculation regarding Massa’s future, reports suggest that Pascal Wehrlein, who was the other candidate for the Mercedes seat, has agreed a move with Sauber, which paves way for Bottas.

Alesi, however, feels the Brazilian will be making a mistake if he accepts Williams offer to return.

"Honestly to me this is a mistaken decision," Alesi told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Felipe has stopped, he’s turned a page. And what if he discovers that the Williams isn’t quick?”

Massa’s proposed comeback to Formula 1 was kick-started by World Champion Nico Rosberg, who announced his retirement days after winning the Championship.

"To start with I thought the same as (Niki) Lauda; I was surprised and angry. Let’s say I didn’t really get the logic of announcing your retirement the same week in which you won the title,” said Alesi.

"But then I thought about it some more and I thought of Senna, of how he said he would drive for Williams for nothing and how hard he worked to make it happen and then he died. Perhaps Nico just didn’t feel like racing anymore."

COMMENTS