Alonso: I’m still motivated

Date published: April 20 2016

McLaren driver Fernando Alonso has hit back at critics calling him unmotivated by saying that he finds it unbelievable after all of his efforts in the last couple years.

Despite having other aspirations, the two-time World Champion has revealed that he does not plan on leaving F1 just yet and added that the has proved his desire to do so by his actions throughout his career.

"I don't know how on earth people can think I'm not motivated," the 2005 and 2006 World Champion told AS.

"In 2012 I fought for the championship until the last moment. In 2013 I finished second, in 2014 I made triple the points of a driver like Kimi Raikkonen and in 2015 I was pushing the car in Hungary to reach the pitlane.

"Now I had a pneumothorax, two broken ribs and I was asking the FIA to let me drive the car. It's absurd [to say I'm not motivated].

"You can say anything about me – I'm slow, I'm old, I'm ugly, but not I'm unmotivated."

Last month, former driver and pundit Johnny Herbert blasted the 34-year-old for looking like he does not care anymore, to which Alonso replied: "Well, my mother was worried for weeks about me."

"Worried about the crash in Australia, worried that I flew to Bahrain, worried that I wanted to race, and then this guy says that I want to retire."

COMMENTS