Brown denies juniors were ‘promised’ 2019 drive

Date published: April 10 2018

Zak Brown has rubbished claims that McLaren have offered a 2019 drive to Lando Norris or Nyck de Vries if either wins the Formula 2 title.

Both Norris and De Vries are McLaren junior drivers, competing in this year’s Formula 2 championship.

Last week De Vries stated that he had an offer for a 2019 McLaren race-seat in his junior contract, all he has to do is win the F2 title.

“That was literally said to me by director Zak Brown and it is in black and white. So I have it in my own hands,” De Vries said.

He added: “Lando has a certain preference because of his good relationship with Zak Brown.”

Brown, though, says this isn’t true as no one is guaranteed a McLaren drive for next season.

“That is not an accurate reflection of the conversation but Nyck’s a very good driver,” the CEO said in Bahrain.

“McLaren will always look to put the two best drivers that it can in the car and no one has any promises from McLaren verbally or contractually as to who is going to be in our car in 2019.”

He added: “We won’t comment on our contracts but I can tell you that no one has a guarantee to be in our seat for 2019, regardless of any race results.”

Norris is leading the Formula 2 standings after the opening round of the season with 39 points while De Vries is fifth with 16.

COMMENTS