Gutierrez: I was too confident

Date published: February 2 2017

Before being told he would be replaced by Kevin Magnussen at Haas, Esteban Gutierrez admits that he was too confident as he thought he would be in Formula 1 this year.

However, the Mexican has struggled for a race seat and with all the drivers’ line-ups confirmed as it seems highly unlikely that he will feature in 2017.

"The timing for me in F1 in general hasn't been great in the years I've been there – that, together with the fact I was too confident things were taken care of, created another difficult situation for me," Gutierrez told Autosport.

"In my opinion, certain things were not completely understood. The mistake I made was to be too confident that these things around were taken care of. I was too focused on the people that were specifically around me at that stage.

"Not that they did a bad job, but there was a bit of confusion around and I focused too much on the results.

"That's why things just took time and time, and by the time I decided to look after what was going on further around the team it was too late."

With Gutierrez lining up to race in Formula E in 2017, the 25-year-old has no regrets about joining Haas at the beginning of last year.

"I still feel very grateful to them," he added.

"How things developed through the year is still a bit unclear to me, but that's in the past and I don't carry that with me anymore.

"I don't regret how things were for me, but I now know how I can do things better.

"I take that experience and work for the future."

 

COMMENTS