Magnussen surprised at Renault’s comments

Date published: January 19 2017

After Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul took a swipe at his former driver Kevin Magnussen, the Dane refused to get involved.

Abiteboul expressed disappointment in Magnussen for his 2016 season, saying that his performances were underwhelming and lack of discipline and commitment were also not up to standard.

However, the Haas driver refused to hit back at his former boss..

"I will not comment on Cyril's opinions at all," he told Danish paper BT.

"I don't think it will do any good to talk about it. But it's clear that I am surprised. And disappointed.”

Just like when he left McLaren in 2014, Ron Dennis made similar comments, something Magnussen is aware of.

"Yes, I can see that. But what should I do?" said the 24-year-old.

Last year, Magnussen scored seven of the eight points Renault secured, with his partner Jolyon Palmer only finishing in the top ten.

Nico Hulkenberg has replaced Magnussen at Renault, while former the McLaren driver replaced Esteban Gutierrez at Haas and will have Romain Grosjean as his team-mate this year.

COMMENTS