PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Piquet unlikely to drive for Campos

Sunday 03-January-2010 07:00

Nelson Piquet Jr's hopes of returning to Formula One this year with Campos Meta appear to be very slim.

Spanish-based outfit Campos are yet to name a partner for Bruno Senna for their debut season and Piquet has been strongly linked with the team.

Daniele Audetto, general manager of Campos, has confirmed that they've held talks with Piquet, but says it is unlikely that they will employ two Brazilians.

"We did receive an offer from Piquet," Audetto told La Stampa, "and Adrian [Campos] analysed that offer. We have nothing against Nelsinho, even if he was involved in the race fixing scandal. He is an excellent driver who is quick and has experience. But having already signed Bruno Senna, we can not have two Brazilians."

There had been talk that former World Champion Nelson Piquet Sr could buy a 15 per cent stake in the team Campos team which could result in his son getting the race seat.

Audetto, though, says other drivers could bring a lot more to the team.

"The proposed 15 per cent investment would have been inferior to what other drivers could bring, with Italian, Russian, Chinese and German drivers all interested to name a few nationalities.

"Of course there are negotiations ongoing which will continue until all of the details are confirmed."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.