PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Merc would 'love' to help Kubica

Friday 03-May-2013 10:03

Toto Wolff insists Mercedes would "love" to facilitate Robert Kubica's return to Formula One in the future.

Kubica last contested a Formula One grand prix back in 2010 with the Renault team. Three months later he was seriously injured in a rally accident.

The Polish driver's forearm was partially severed and it was not until September 2012 that he made a competitive appearance in motorsport when he competed - and won - the Ronde Gomitolo Di Lana in a WRC car.

Since then Kubica has been working to recover sufficient movement in his right arm. But while he currently has enough to drive a rally car, it remains to be seen whether he'll ever be able to return to F1.

The 28-year-old, though, took steps towards just that when he recently drove in the Mercedes simulator.

Wolff told BBC Sport: "If there's any chance of getting him back in a DTM touring car or F1 cockpit, we'd love to do it.

"Any team would love to have a Robert Kubica."

The Mercedes executive director, though, conceded that at present Kubica is focused on his career in the European Rally Championship where he finished sixth in last weekend's Rally Azores.

"He is somebody I have known for 10 years but it's absolutely his call how he wants to help us and his main focus is rallying," Wolff said.

"This is where he wants to be successful and what he wants to do in the future."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.