PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Horner denies Ricciardo deal

Monday 26-August-2013 06:36

Christian Horner has refuted Mark Webber's claims that Daniel Ricciardo is on his way to Red Bull Racing for next year's Championship.

Ricciardo is believed to be leading the running to replace Webber after Kimi Raikkonen's manager revealed that talks between the Lotus driver and Red Bull had broken down.

Webber, though, went one further and all but confirmed Ricciardo's signing to Channel 10.

"The decision's made," said the 36-year-old. "We all know who it is. I'm happy with that decision. It's good for him and good for Australia."

However, Horner insists Webber is off the mark as Red Bull have yet to decide Sebastian Vettel's 2014 team-mate.

"There is plenty of speculation around but nothing has been signed yet," the Red Bull team boss told Sky Sports F1.

"The situation is that we have time to contemplate our selection and there will be no announcement before Monza.

"Mark is not privy to all of our discussions with the drivers but when we are comfortable to announce the decision then we will announce it."

And amidst rumours that Fernando Alonso could even be in the running while Raikkonen may not be out, Horner admitted that Red Bull had more options that previously thought.

"We still haven't fixed anything. We're taking our time to evaluate all our options, and we've been surprised about what those options are.

"Kimi is without doubt a class driver, but we are also thinking of the future, and there are so many things we have to take into account. He's driven very well this season, probably better than last year, but he's very much his own man as well."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.