PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Alonso: This is my year

Monday 11-March-2013 09:41

Fernando Alonso says as long as Ferrari give him a car that is able to "win races and podiums", he "will do the rest."

Last season Alonso lost the World title to Sebastian Vettel by just three points as Ferrari struggled to wring pace out of their under-performing F2012. The Spaniard, though, still managed three race victories and an additional 10 podium finishes.

This year, the Italian stable is confident that have corrected the deficits with the F138 showing some promising pace in pre-season testing.

However, as Alonso is quick to point out, testing took place on chilly Spanish tracks while the Formula One season kicks off at a warm Albert Park circuit in Australia.

"Testing has been good for us here in Barcelona but you can never tell as the hotter temperatures in the first three races makes a huge difference to the grip and tyres," he told The Mirror.

"It is going to be anyone's race, it is going to be interesting!"

The 31-year-old, though, believes Ferrari should at the very least be able to fight for a top-three results starting with the Australian Grand Prix.

"This year we should be on the podium and there is no reason to believe that this will not happen in the first race.

"We can't say for sure we are going to be winning races but the car is better than last year and more competitive."

He added: "I feel great, this is my year. I'm excited to get back racing and winning."

But despite how the Spaniard feels, he concedes he cannot do it without a winning car.

"I wish for a competitive car and one that is capable of fighting with the best. One that is able to win races and podiums, give me the car and I will do the rest. We are faster and the base definitely better."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.