PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Bernie: No concerns about Bahrain

Saturday 06-April-2013 07:28

Bernie Ecclestone maintains this year's Bahrain GP will go ahead without trouble despite ongoing protests.

The race was cancelled in 2011 when 35 people died in the pro-democracy uprising in the island kingdom. However, one year later and the grand prix was back on.

Despite pressure from protestors and various international bodies, F1 raced in Bahrain last season where the race went ahead without any hitches.

Ecclestone is expecting more of the same this year after the opposition and the government resumed talks in February.

"I haven't had any negative reports from anybody there," the 82-year-old told Reuters.

"Somebody who actually lives there came to see me yesterday and said everything's very normal.

"I think they (both sides) are talking now anyway... so I don't think they'll upset the talks by making protests. It didn't help them last year, so if they had any brains they'd just get on with their talks."

He added: "Everything that is there is as far as we are concerned good. They do a very, very good job of the race, the whole support from the top is good. No problems."

Asked where he feared that ongoing protests would target the April 21st grand prix, the F1 supremo insisted: "No, I think quite the opposite. No concerns, none at all."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.