It looks like pole position for the German GP will be a shootout between Red Bull and Mercedes with Sebastian Vettel showing there is plenty of pace in his RB9 during Free Practice Three.
Mercedes have been the one-lap specialists in recent times and Nico Rosberg dominated FP1 on Friday morning, but Vettel took over in FP2 and he was again in a different class on Saturday morning.
Vettel posted the best time on the medium compounds, a 1:31.365, early in the session, but he went even faster once he switched to the softer rubber in the final few minutes.
His 1:29.517 will certainly have made those at Mercedes sit up and take notice as Rosberg was 0.676s behind in second place while Vettel's Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber was down in third.
Ferrari, who didn't have the best of Fridays, put in a much improved display with Fernando Alonso's 1:30.621 good enough for P4 and Felipe Massa down in fifth and just 0.018 behind his team-mate.
They were followed by Kimi Raikkonen in the Lotus while Lewis Hamilton, who complained of "huge oversteer" all morning was in seventh with a 1:30.744.
Romain Grosjean, Nico Hulkenberg and Adrian Sutil completed the top 10 while Jenson Button was the best of the McLarens and down in P11 with a 1:31.326.
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m29.517s 19
2. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m30.193s + 0.676s 19
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m30.211s + 0.694s 18
4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m30.621s + 1.104s 16
5. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m30.639s + 1.122s 17
6. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m30.671s + 1.154s 19
7. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m30.744s + 1.227s 20
8. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m30.781s + 1.264s 18
9. Nico Hulkenberg Sauber-Ferrari 1m30.966s + 1.449s 20
10. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m31.009s + 1.492s 18
11. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m31.326s + 1.809s 22
12. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1m31.405s + 1.888s 20
13. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m31.733s + 2.216s 21
14. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m31.855s + 2.338s 18
15. Sergio Perez McLaren-Mercedes 1m31.855s + 2.338s 23
16. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m31.898s + 2.381s 19
17. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m31.969s + 2.452s 20
18. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1m32.036s + 2.519s 23
19. Charles Pic Caterham-Renault 1m33.230s + 3.713s 19
20. Jules Bianchi Marussia-Cosworth 1m33.470s + 3.953s 22
21. Giedo van der Garde Caterham-Renault 1m33.964s + 4.447s 21
22. Max Chilton Marussia-Cosworth 1m34.683s + 5.166s 20
Saturday's Shots From Germany
Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.