PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

'Everything is fine at Lotus'

Thursday 09-January-2014 09:44

Despite opting to sit out the first pre-season test, Eric Boullier insists Lotus' future in Formula One is secure.

Last year the team was plagued by reports of financial woes, which ultimately resulted in the Enstone outfit losing Kimi Raikkonen to Ferrari.

Lotus, though, made up some of the shortfall by bringing Pastor Maldonado and his PDVSA sponsorship on board for this season.

However, fans will have to wait until the second test in Bahrain to see the new signing as the team have announced they won't attend the first test.

And although this raised some concerns about the situation, Boullier insists all is well.

The team boss told BBC Sport: "Everything is fine here. Lotus will be on the grid this year and for a long time."

In fact, the Frenchman is adamant that when it all plays out, Lotus won't be the only team not attending the four-day Jerez outing.

"You will see, we will not be the only team not being in Jerez," he said. "I know this for a fact already.

"We already said a month ago that it is going to be tight. Actually most of the teams agreed it was going to be tight. Then it was a decision we took.

"It is true the car will not be ready on time, but we will be ready shortly after that - and in some ways, it is not bad because we will have time to watch what the others are doing and nobody will be able to watch what we are doing.

"Remember, this year it is a big regulation change, so everybody will be watching very carefully what the others have done."

Explaining the team's decision to wait until Bahrain to run, he added: "We took the decision bearing in mind we would miss a third of the testing, so we have to focus on doing things a little bit differently to make sure we do not lose too much."

Related Links
Lotus to skip Jerez test

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.