PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Kobayashi turned down Ferrari offer

Friday 24-January-2014 11:02

New Caterham signing Kamui Kobayashi said no to a Ferrari deal in order to return to the Formula One grid.

After a year on the sideline, in which he took part in the World Endurance Championship with Ferrari, Kobayashi will contest this year's Championship having signed with Caterham.

That deal, though, was not the 27-year-old's only offer as Ferrari were looking to hold onto him.

"I have to say they're not really happy about my decision. But I said to Stefano [Domenicali], 'This is my dream, to be in Formula 1, and I think this is the last chance to be a race driver'," he told Sky Sports F1.

"He gave me a good offer but unfortunately I had to decide this way. This is all my decision and definitely I had to say to Stefano thanks for all the support last year. It was a very great experience for me but I'm here for Formula 1, not for driving GT."

Kobayashi also revealed that he won't be paid by Caterham, such was his determination to be back on the grid.

"I'm driving for free, it is my decision," he told Autosport. It is just my approach. I want to do this job. This appeals to Tony [Fernandes], this was the message to Tony and he is happy about that.

"I want to help the team. I don't care about the money. I want to be successful in my life and I want to bring the team back successfully in my goals."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.