PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Caterham withdraws from Barcelona test

Wednesday 14-May-2014 09:29

Caterham has withdrawn from the remainder of this week's test in Barcelona due to a damaged chassis.

The decision was made after the car was irreparably damaged when Kamui Kobayashi crashed at Turn 3 towards the end of Tuesday's session.

"Having assessed the damage to chassis CT05-03 after Kamui's accident yesterday in the final half-hour of day one, we have decided not to run on day two," said a team statement.

"While obviously not ideal, this ensures the team can now focus on the next Grand Prix in Monaco, starting next week."

The crash took place on the Japanese driver's 73rd lap of the day after Caterham had a productive session at the Circuit de Catalunya.

"Unfortunately in the last half-hour I went off in Turn 3 and hit the barriers pretty hard," said Kobayashi yesterday.

"There is quite a lot of damage to the car, so I'm sorry for the guys in the garage who now have a long night ahead to fix the car.

"But the only good thing is that it was at the end of the day after we'd got through most of the run plan."

Test driver Robin Frijns had been scheduled take over from Kobayashi on Wednesday.

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.