PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Fernley casts doubt over Friday plans

Saturday 07-June-2014 16:34

Force India's Bob Fernley has questioned the idea to cut next season's Friday practices to just one.

Earlier this week it emerged that there is a proposal on the table to reduce next season's running to just one Friday practice session.

That session would take place late in the day, about 5pm, and would mean teams could arrive at the circuit a day late, thus cutting costs.

Fernley, though, has questioned the wisdom of it.

The Force India deputy team boss told Press Association Sport: "We need to look at the totality of it.

"Whilst it's a conceptual idea it has not been defined yet as there are a few elements in that definition that could work negatively.

"One element is that for some of the teams on the grid it could cost them money because they would lose the opportunity to use their third driver (who often pays for his seat).

"And then there's how do you deal with updates (for the cars) and the process that goes with that, which may or may not be beneficial?

"So we need to look at what they (the Strategy Group) are proposing. We've probably as much information as you (the media) have."

The exact plan still has to be ironed out and has to be voted in before then going before the World Motor Sport Council to be rubber-stamped.

"Like everything else, the devil is in the detail," added Fernley.

"If you miss out FP1, what are you going to give the promoters and the TV companies that would allow them to be able to optimise their programs?

"I'm sure you could do things without actually running the cars, but what are those things you want to do?

"Unfortunately from our perspective, it will come to us as a proposal and we will be told at the F1 Commission hearing to vote yes or no."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.