PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Ferrari quit threat 'pure speculation'

Saturday 14-June-2014 11:36

Ferrari have denied that Luca di Montezemolo has once again threatened to walk away F1, insisting that conclusion is a "bit of a stretch."

Earlier this week, and not for the first time, the Italian voiced his displeasure over the new Formula 1 regulations.

"Formula One isn't working," he said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.

"It's declining because [the FIA] have forgotten that people watch the racing for the excitement. Nobody watches racing for the efficiency, come on."

He added: "People watch racing to be entertained. No one wants to watch a driver save gas or tyres. They want to see them push from here to there.

"It's sport, yes, but also a show."

The Italian then hinted that Ferrari could swap from F1 to endurance racing.

He said: "Of course we cannot do sports-car racing and Formula One. It's not possible."

Ferrari, though, have denied that di Montezemolo's comments could be seen as him threatening to quit Formula 1.

"Some elements of the media have suggested Ferrari would quit Formula 1 to concentrate on the Le Mans 24 Hours and Endurance racing," the Scuderia said on their website.

"This is a bit of a stretch based on President Luca di Montezemolo reiterating that Formula 1 needs to evolve and renew itself, while also admitting that there is a unique attraction to the 24 Hour race.

"To say that after 2020, Ferrari could quit Formula 1 to concentrate on Le Mans and the Endurance championship takes his words to extremes.

"Plus of course, there's nothing to stop Ferrari upping the ante and competing in both disciplines. So it's just pure speculation."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.