PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Kobayashi: Caterham seat is safe

Thursday 03-July-2014 16:46

Kamui Kobayashi is confident he will remain with Caterham until the end of this season but is unsure about the long-term future.

Earlier this week, it was confirmed that the Caterham F1 team had been sold to a consortium of Swiss and Middle Eastern investors.

The group have installed former F1 driver Christijan Albers as the new team boss while Colin Kolles is acting as an adviser while Kobayashi and his team-mate Marcus Ericsson will hold onto their race-seats.

"I will drive for this year, sure," said the Japanese driver. "For the future, I really didn't speak with them about it yesterday.

"I think next week we will have more time to speak with the boss, so let's see. Whatever happens I think my job this year is to get some results."

The 27-year-old is delighted that Caterham have remained on the grid and believes the influx of cash will help the team chase down Marussia in the Championship.

"I really appreciate that we can still continue to race, and I think our target is clear that we need to push to get back the Championship position," he said.

"We need to focus, and I think the last few months we were struggling with the budget, but now it seems we can use a bit more budget, so let's see what we can do.

"We need to do as much as we can. The new boss says he wants us to push for this year - this is a clear message for everybody. He is aggressive but I think this is what we need to do.

"We have more money, so we can get more updates. This is what we feel. This is a time to really push.

"We have nothing to lose, this is simple. We need to be together as a team and we have to focus to get our position in the Championship."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.