PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Force India: Magnussen is not for us

Thursday 10-October-2013 06:23

Force India have ruled out signing McLaren protégé Kevin Magnussen on a short-term deal.

Earlier this week McLaren revealed that they would like to see their junior drivers Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne secure seats in Formula One.

All eyes turned to Force India as reports emerged that McLaren had held talks with the team, who have yet to confirm either driver for next season.

And although deputy team principal Bob Fernley initially said Magnussen could be in the mix, he has now come out saying Force India have no plans to develop a driver for another team's benefit.

"You can't ignore a driver that has done such a fantastic job in World Series, but Kevin is not our driver," he told Autosport.

"We have a wonderful relationship with McLaren, but for anybody coming into the team we want to look at the long-term, not training someone for someone else."

Fernley, though, did concede that the 21-year-old is an "exciting prospect" for the future but not for Force India

"In terms of the fact that Kevin is a McLaren driver and potentially a very good one, there is no question of it [his promise].

"But we have got to look at where we are investing our time and efforts because next year is an important one for us.

"He is an exciting prospect, but not necessarily for us."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.