PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Boullier: I expect Button to stay

Sunday 08-June-2014 11:16

Jenson Button can look forward to a sixth season with McLaren after Eric Boullier said he expects the Brit will be handed another one-year contract.

Button's current deal with McLaren expires at the end of this season with the 2009 World Champion making it known that he is not ready to retire.

And it now looks as if the Brit will be granted a one-year extension.

"Since I have joined McLaren I have found out what a great competitor he is and what a good asset he is for the team," Boullier told Sky Sports News.

"I more and more appreciate what he can do. I'm very pleased and when the time comes to sit down then I would love to carry on with him.

"I expect him [to stay], but we haven't sat down properly yet."

Boullier also weighed in on McLaren's 2014 season.

Despite starting with a double podium in Australia, the team has failed to move forward from there and even went through three successive races outside the points.

The former Lotus man said: "People are frustrated because after the trauma of last year we were expecting a better season but when you are in a spiral you have to stop it and steer the company differently.

"We have to take some tough decisions. We have a very tough sport and our competitors are doing a better job than us.

"One of the easiest ways to get up to speed is to get people involved from other teams - this is what the other teams do and this is what I am trying to. We have to look at ourselves to make sure we are heading in the right direction."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.