PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Kimi not interested in boycott

Friday 05-July-2013 16:31

Kimi Raikkonen insists he will race in Sunday's German Grand Prix despite a threat from the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) to boycott the race.

The GPDA issued a strongly worded statement on Thursday evening in which they promise to withdraw from the race if there was a repeat of the tyre blowouts which took place at Silverstone last week.

Pirelli introduced new Kevlar-belted tyres for the race at Nurburgring and not a single driver suffered a puncture during Friday's two practice sessions.

Raikkonen, who along with Adrian Sutil and Valtteri Bottas are the only drivers not part of the GPDA, says he won't take part in a boycott as he learned his lesson during the 2005 United States GP when not all the drivers followed through on their threat to withdraw.

"I haven't seen it, I heard," the Finn said of the GPDA statement. "I am sure it is not going to happen anyhow.

"I was once involved in 2005 and funnily enough there were some guys that didn't stop and they drove, so for sure I will race whatever happens this time."

Asked if he had been invited to the GPDA meeting, he replied: "Yes. But I am not part of it, sometimes I go - but I hear about it as quickly as you."

Pirelli has insisted that there were several contributing factors to the tyre failures at Silverstone and Raikkonen backed them up.

"I would race. The problems are not just because of the tyres - there can be a lot of influence in why it has happened," he is quoted as saying by Autosport.

"We haven't had a single problem all year, so I have no feeling. [Motor racing] is dangerous anyhow, anything can happen.

"The reason why they exploded was that the teams were using them wrong. I am fine with it."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.