PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

Austin responds to Attorney General

Monday 20-August-2012 09:17

Steve Sexton is adamant CoTA will work together with "state, county and city officials" despite uncertainty remaining over the track's eligibility for state funding.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has to date refused to rule on whether or not the Circuit of the Americas will be eligible for monies from the Major Events Trust Fund, which is reserved for sporting events such as Super Bowls and NCAA Basketball tournaments.

The AG issued an 'opinion' last week in which it said that it could not resolve the issue on whether proper applications had been filed for the circuit to receive state funding.

"We are pleased with the attorney general opinion," R.J. DeSilva told the Statesman. "All the rules laid out in statute are properly followed when analyzing applications made for Major Events Trust Funds."

Circuit of the Americas' President Steve Sexton has responded to the ruling, saying the Austin event will continue to work with "state, county and city officials" to ensure the best for both the track and the community.

"We have worked with the local organising committee in following the process to secure and host this international event," Sexton said.

"This event will pump hundreds of millions of dollars into the Texas economy while creating thousands of new full- and part-time jobs and will have a positive impact on our community.

"We look forward to the first Formula 1 United States Grand Prix in Austin this November and to working with state, county and city officials to create another key economic driver for Central Texas."

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.