PlanetF1

www.planetf1.com

Print

'No foundation to Raikkonen rumours'

Thursday 15-August-2013 07:45

Kimi Raikkonen will not be heading to Ferrari next season as the team insists there is "no foundation" to the rumours.

Earlier this week, Finnish publication Ilta-Sanomat claimed that the 2007 World Champion would be returning to Ferrari next season.

The report stated that the Finn would replace Felipe Massa at the Italian stable as he teamed up with Spain's Fernando Alonso.

Ferrari have denied this.

"Right now, we're really not giving any thought to the driver-market situation," a spokesman for the Scuderia told BBC Sport.

He went on to say that Ferrari's sole focus on present is reviving Fernando Alonso's title quest.

"That is our priority. Drivers are not a problem for us even if we were to change Felipe."

But just because Ferrari won't sign Raikkonen that doesn't mean they don't want to.

'Sources close to Ferrari say senior figures at the team believe Raikkonen would be the ideal replacement for Massa,' the BBC reports.

'However, a decision to re-employ him would effectively be an admission that they made a mistake by paying off the Finn at the end of 2009, ending his contract a year early, when they signed Alonso.'

Added to that, Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo is 'said to be to keep Massa if the 32-year-old can prove he can deliver consistent results - as he did in the second half of last season after a similar warning from the top.'

Related Links
'Kimi is going to Ferrari'

© 2014 - 365 Media Group

Any reproduction, publication or redistribution of this material without the written agreement of 365 Media Group is strictly forbidden.