Gasly excluded from Baku quali over fuel violation

Date published: April 27 2019

Pierre Gasly

Red Bull’s Pierre Gasly has been excluded from the Azerbaijan GP qualifying results for a fuel flow violation.

FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer reported the Frenchman “had exceeded the maximum allowed fuel mass flow of 100 kg/hour when doing the fastest lap” during Q1.

Gasly finished fastest in Q1, but he will start from the pit lane anyway after he missed the weighbridge at the end of FP2 on Friday. A five-place grid penalty was also added after he took a new gearbox, though this has no effect since he’s at the back anyway.

Daniel Ricciardo was excluded from the 2014 Australian Grand Prix when driving for Red Bull after such a violation, while the same fate befell Esteban Ocon at last year’s United States Grand Prix.

The 21-year-old said that the team were actually running on low fuel as they looked to save the engine for Sunday’s race.

“It was nice to end Q1 in P1 but knowing we’re starting from the pit lane tomorrow, the most important thing was just to get a feel of the car on low fuel,” Gasly told reporters.

“It felt really good and it’s probably the first time this year I’ve felt that good in the car, so I’m really happy.”

Gasly is well aware of the chaos which often unfolds in Baku, and despite starting from the pit lane, he remains hopeful of a good points haul for himself and team-mate Max Verstappen in the race.

“I think we have a good car here and I was hoping Max would get a good result in Q3,” he explained.

“This race track is just insane with all the things that can happen so I will race flat out until the last lap. We have a car good enough to recover and score good points tomorrow, so I will push for it.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.