Vettel ‘shocked’ by Interlagos’ axing

Date published: May 10 2019

Sebastian Vettel 'shocked' by Interlagos' axing

Three-time Brazilian GP winner Sebastian Vettel says it is a “shock” to hear that Interlagos is set to lose its place on the F1 calendar.

Earlier this week Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro announced in a press conference that the Brazilian GP would be moving from Intelagos to a new purpose-built track in Rio de Janeiro from 2020 .

The move brings to an end the São Paulo circuit’s 30-year stint in F1.

Vettel, who won the grand prix in 2010, 2013 and 2017, isn’t happy.

“I wasn’t aware that it’s going to happen,” he said. “I heard some rumours but I think it’s a shock.

“Interlagos is a great place, a lot of history. The old track at Interlagos is even better than the current one!

“But I couldn’t think of anything, other than maybe the track being a little bit short, that Interlagos is missing.

“I’m really looking forward to the last race we have there. Who knows, in the future, if we go back?

“It’s a great place, so it’s a real shame. I’m sort of a fan of hanging on to old things.

“It would be nice to go back very soon. Maybe have two races in Brazil, since the crowd is usually quite amazing.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.