F1 rumours: Wehrlein, Perez, Grosjean, Gasly

Date published: September 14 2019

2020 driver rumours.

The ‘silly season’ is now well and truly under way with F1 rumours and gossip flying as teams work on their driver plans for the 2020 campaign.

And we will keep you right up to date with the very latest on all the moves on the grid from the F1 world’s most informed sources.

You can also stay abreast of how the F1 2020 driver line-up is taking shape with the latest confirmed moves.

F1 Rumours: Thursday, 19 September

– Nico Hulkenberg is an option for Alfa Romeo for 2020 (Insideracing)

F1 Rumours: Saturday, 14 September

– Haas turned down Pascal Wehrlein’s approach for a 2020 drive (Motorsport.com)

F1 Rumours: Saturday, 31 August

– Renault director Alain Prost has revealed Nico Hulkenberg was offered a new one-year deal to stay with the team, but he turned it down.

F1 Rumours: Friday, 30 August

– Sergio Perez has committed his long-term future to SportPesa Racing Point by signing a new deal which runs all the way through until the end of 2022.

– Pierre Gasly learnt of his Red Bull demotion on the morning of the announcement despite having been told a week earlier that he was safe.

– Although Guenther Steiner says Haas’ second seat is up for grabs, Romain Grosjean says he is “quite confident” of remaining in Formula 1 next season.

F1 Rumours: Thursday, 29 August

– Valtteri Bottas has been handed a reprieve by Mercedes, signed as Lewis Hamilton team-mate for the 2020 F1 season.

– With Mercedes closing the door to Esteban Ocon for 2020, the Frenchman has instead signed with Renault, agreeing a multi-year contract.

F1 Rumours: Wednesday, 28 August

– The 2020 drivers line up will begin to take shape, at least the midfield part, at Spa with Renault expected to announce Esteban Ocon on Thursday. (PlanetF1)

– And that, according to the rumour mill, will be followed a week later by Haas confirming Nico Hulkenberg. (PlanetF1)

F1 Rumours: Tuesday, 27 August

– Autohebdo seem pretty confident that Esteban Ocon to Renault is a done deal after a picture of Ocon in the team’s race suit graced the cover of their latest publication. (Auto Hebdo)

F1 Rumours: Monday, 26 August

– Robert Kubica is unsure of his Formula 1 future beyond 2019. (GPToday)

F1 Rumours: Sunday, 25 August

– Valtteri Bottas is set to sign a contract extension with Mercedes for 2020 before the Belgian Grand Prix according to reports in Finland. (Tunun Sanomat)

– George Russell says it would take something “drastic” for him to leave Williams anytime soon. (Motorsport.com)

F1 Rumours: Saturday, 24 August

– Kevin Magnussen insists he has no problem with Nico Hulkenberg despite a previous run-in in Hungary, amid rumours the duo could be team-mates at Haas next season.  (Auto Motor und Sport)

F1 Rumours: Friday, 23 August

– Renault are keen on signing Ocon due to his nationality, speed and low price, but will not do so until Nico Hulkenberg has secured another seat on the grid. (RMC Sport)

F1 Rumours: Thursday, 22 August

– Esteban Ocon will drive for Renault next season, replacing Nico Hulkenberg and signing a two-year contract. (Autobild)

F1 Rumours: Wednesday, 21 August

– Alfa Romeo’s development driver Juan Manuel Correa and test driver Tatiana Calderon will both increase their experience with F1 machinery in a two-day test at Circuit Paul Ricard on August 22 and 23. (Various)

F1 Rumours: Tuesday, 20 August

– Valtteri Bottas has stirred the rumour pot by going for a spot of rally car driving whilst he awaits his fate at Mercedes. Rallying is one of the Finn’s alternative options for 2020. (GPToday)

– Mercedes boss Toto Wolff would not be prepared to offer Fernando Alonso a chance to make a return to Formula 1 but has not ruled out a move for Max Verstappen in future. (Gazzetta dello Sport)

– Fernando Alonso’s plans for 2020 are beginning to take shape as he prepares for testing with Toyota with a potential Dakar Rally run in mind. (Various)

F1 Rumours: Monday, 19 August

– Fernando Alonso reportedly turned down a chance to return to Formula 1 with Red Bull after being offered Pierre Gasly’s seat at Silverstone. (Mundo Deportivo)

F1 Rumours: Sunday, 18 August

– Haas boss Guenther Steiner says he is still waiting for dominoes to fall in the midfield before making a decision on the American outfit’s 2020 driver line-up. (Motorsport-Magazin)

F1 Rumours: Saturday, 17 August

– Mercedes were interested in signing Mick Schumacher but there was not enough space in their young driver programme with Esteban Ocon and George Russell also on the books. (Gazzetta dello Sport)

– George Russell does not feel he has to create a “sales pitch” to Mercedes for any future opportunities in landing a seat with the works team because they are already well aware of his ability. (Crash.Net)

– Sergio Perez is hoping for more podium appearances after the regulation overhaul in 2021 or else he will quit the sport. (RACER)

F1 Rumours: Friday, 16 August

– Max Verstappen reckons he will be driving in Formula 1 for at least another 15 years, saying he will not be sticking around if he is racing at the back by the time he is 36 years old. (Motorsport Magazine)

F1 Rumours: Wednesday, 14 August

– It is expected to be as you were for Ferrari in 2020 with team boss Mattia Binotto saying: “We have a couple of high-level drivers and I see no reason why we have to change anything.” (Marca)

F1 Rumours: Tuesday, 13 August

– Kevin Magnussen and/or Romain Grosjean out and Esteban Ocon or Nico Hulkenberg in at Haas? Team principal Guenther Steiner not saying yay or nay. (PlanetF1)

F1 Rumours: Monday, 12 August

– Red Bull finally do it: Pierre Gasly’s out, Alex Albon is in (PlanetF1)

– Racing Point have said they will announce their 2019 line-up, which is expected to be unchanged, “in due course, not that far into the future, we’ll make the announcement.” (RaceFans.net)

F1 Rumours: Friday, 9 August

– Pierre Gasly is paying no attention to ongoing rumours about his Red Bull future and is just trying to do the best job he possibly can for the team. (Motorsport.com)

– Nico Hulkenberg is not ready yet to make a potential switch to Formula E and is “focusing exclusively” on securing his future in Formula 1. (Sports Mole)

F1 Rumours: Thursday, 8 August

– Mercedes principal Toto Wolff believes it is important for the team to give Valtteri Bottas a “soft landing” if he loses his Silver Arrows seat for 2020. (Autosport)

– Daniil Kvyat appears to be near the top of the list of potential replacements for Pierre Gasly at Red Bull with the Russian impressing on his return to the grid this season with Toro Rosso. (thejudge13)

– Formula 2 driver Luca Ghitto has said there has been no contact so far from Toro Rosso following claims from Sky Italia that he had been approached by Dr Helmut Marko. (Motorbox)

– Haas boss Guenther Steiner has played down chances of reserve driver Pietro Fittipaldi replacing either Kevin Magnussen or Romain Grosjean as it would be a “high risk” move to take on a rookie. (Ekstra Bladet)

– Alex Albon has said his focus is on securing a drive with Toro Rosso for 2020, not Red Bull. (GP Today)

F1 Rumours: Wednesday, 7 August

– Racing Point are set to announce an unchanged line-up for 2020 with SportPesa Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer happy with both Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll. (Reuters)

– George Russell is out of the running for a Mercedes seat next season with Silver Arrows boss Toto Wolff saying it is a step up too soon for the rookie driver. (Motorsport.com)

– Red Bull boss Christian Horner has reiterated that there are currently no plans to replace Pierre Gasly during in the summer break and intend to keep him for at least the rest of this season. (Sky Sports)

F1 Rumours: Tuesday, 6 August

– Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko says the performance clause in Max Verstappen’s Red Bull contract has now expired and will prevent other teams from opening talks with the Dutchman. (Motorsport-Magazin.com)

– Lewis Hamilton has no plans to quit Formula 1 any time soon as he still feels fantastic both physically and mentally at Mercedes where he has much more that he would like to achieve. (The Guardian)

– Kimi Raikkonen has revealed that he has not read his current two-year deal with Alfa Romeo and said he would leave the team if they have any complaints about taking part in potential dangerous activities away from the track. (Vezess)

F1 Rumours: Monday, 5 August

– Nico Rosberg believes his former team Mercedes will ditch Valtteri Bottas and pick reserve and development driver Esteban Ocon as Lewis Hamilton’s team-mate for the 2020 season. (RTL via PlanetF1)

– Valtteri Bottas is discussing ‘Plan B’ and ‘Plan C’ options in Formula 1 for next season should he fail to keep hold of his seat at Mercedes. (Various)

F1 Rumours: Sunday, 4 August

– Lewis Hamilton has cheekily suggested Red Bull should replace under-pressure Pierre Gasly with Fernando Alonso. The two-time World Champion had tweeted to say he enjoyed watching Hamilton and Max Verstappen battle in Hungary (FIA)

– Red Bull’s motorsport advisor Dr Helmut Marko reckons there is a “99 per cent” chance of Max Verstappen remaining at Red Bull for the 2020 season. (ORF)

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.