Alex Zanardi is said to be in a “stable” condition after undergoing a second round of neurological surgery.
The former F1 driver was admitted to hospital 11 days ago having suffered severe head injuries in a handbike road accident.
He crashed with a truck while competing in a handbike relay event on public roads in Siena.
The 53-year-old, who suffered head and facial injuries and underwent surgery upon admission, has been in an induced coma at the Siena University Hospital since the accident on June 19.
In the latest update, the hospital annunced that he had undergo a second neurological operation after a CT scan presented ‘an evolution in the patient’s state which made is necessary to have a second neurosurgical intervention’.
The hospital said he ‘remained stable from the cardio-respiratory and metabolic point of view, serious from the neurological point of view’.
The hospital’s medical director Roberto Gusinu added that the surgery “represents a step that had been hypothesised by the team” treating Zanardi.
“Our professionals will evaluate day by day the evolution of the situation,” he continued.