Alfa Romeo to sever ties with Sauber after 2023 F1 season

Michelle Foster
altteri Bottas drives during the British Grand Prix weekend. Silverstone, July 2022.

Alfa Romeo's Valtteri Bottas drives during the British Grand Prix weekend. Silverstone, July 2022.

Alfa Romeo will end their partnership with Sauber after next year’s championship, the announcement coming in the wake of Audi’s confirmation it will enter the sport in 2026.

The Alfa Romeo name returned to the Formula 1 grid in 2019, the Italian car company teaming up with Sauber.

Taking over the title sponsorship of the Ferrari-powered team, the deal was renewed last season with the extension running through to the end of 2023.

Alfa Romeo announced on Friday it won’t be renewed beyond that.



In a statement the company said: “Alfa Romeo communicates that its partnership with Sauber Motorsport will end within the end of 2023.

“Alfa Romeo announced its return in F1 in 2017 with a long term plan, and in July 2022 has announced the decision to continue its partnership with Sauber also for 2023, given to the promising results of the first half of the season, both in terms of performances, marketing and positive collaboration with the team.

“Since the economic and industrial turnaround of the brand will be achieved in 2022, Alfa Romeo will now evaluate among the many opportunities on the table, and decide which will be the best one to sustain the long term strategy and the positioning of the Brand.”

Alfa Romeo’s announcement comes just hours after Audi confirmed they will be a Formula 1 power unit supplier as of 2026.

The team they are said to be partnering, Sauber.

Although Audi did not confirm that rumour in Friday’s press conference, saying that will be announced before the “end of this year”, it is thought they are buying a 75 percent stake of the the Swiss company leaving 25% to current owner Finn Rausing.

Audi have already began preparing for their arrival, revealing they already have over 100 people working on their F1 project, the number set to increase to 300, with development having started six months go.

With Alfa Romeo exiting stage left, the Sauber name is likely to return to the grid for the 2024 and 2025 seasons unless Audi opt to enter as a title sponsor or part owner as early as 2024.