Alonso: Full Indycar season ‘never an option’

Date published: October 20 2018

Fernando Alonso: McLaren news has not effect

Fernando Alonso has said the news that McLaren won’t be competing full-time in IndyCar next year doesn’t affect him at all.

McLaren had been weighing up whether to join the series, but confirmed ahead of the United States Grand Prix that they are not ready to do so just yet.

With Alonso retiring from Formula 1 at the end of the season, one potential option was to join McLaren on their full-time adventure into IndyCar.

However, the Spaniard has confirmed that was never the plan and there is “no setback” in his future plans.

“A full IndyCar season was never an option that I wanted because of the implication it carries,” said Alonso.

“I would like to race in IndyCar one day but not next year. Seventeen races, all of them in America, learning everything from zero.

“That dedication and that kind of work that is required was never in my plans so therefore that McLaren has ruled it out is about the team.

“If they were to enter IndyCar full-time it was never going to be with me, so it changes nothing.

“You found out today and I knew since August, so it doesn’t affect me at all.

“I tested the car in September to see what the car was like, but there was no implication for the future, as I had already said.

“When he said that today I read ‘A setback for Alonso’, etc. There’s no setback at all. It was never in my plans and it doesn’t change anything.”

As for when we will learn about those future plans, Alonso said there are still a few details left to sort out.

He added: “My programme for next year has been clear for several months, but we have to close some things and some plans in some categories and with some brands.

“When everything is in place I’ll announce it.”

Follow all the action from the United States Grand Prix with the PlanetF1 race hub.