Alonso is prepared for possible F1 return

Date published: February 28 2019

Fernando_Alonso

Fernando Alonso is adamant he will be ready should McLaren need him to race this season, or if he wants to return to the sport down the line.

McLaren announced on Wednesday that the double World Champion had signed as the team’s ambassador, a role that includes on-track duties including select tests.

He will also advise the team’s drivers, Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, as well as the engineers.

That, though, is just one aspect to Alonso’s 2019 season.

The Spaniard will race outside of Formula 1, driving the #66 McLaren Racing Chevrolet at the Indianapolis 500 and continuing his World Endurance Championship programme with Toyota.

Such is Alonso’s schedule that he believes he’ll be ready to race should McLaren need him in Formula 1.

“I’m stronger than ever now at 37: physically, mentally, and the background that you have in different categories and different driving styles,” he said.

“So I feel very good now, very competitive in any car that I jump in.

“I will keep going for a couple of years and select what races can make an impact on my career and impact on everything, and race those.

“As I said, if one day Formula 1 again arrives at the moment when I can be competitive, and I can eventually be winning, I cannot be relaxed at home in that moment.

“I need to keep updated, and the best way is to be involved somehow.”

He added: “At the moment, as I said last year, I feel at the peak of my career.

“So probably being at home is a waste of time and possibilities for everyone.

“First for me, because I’m doing different, iconic races now. I feel in the best moment of my driving career, so I hope to win as many races as I can.

“I [will] also stay involved in F1 life, just in case.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.