Although Fernando Alonso has announced he won’t be doing another season in WEC, don’t expect to see him back in “more of the same” Formula 1.
The double World Champion announced earlier this week that he would wrap up his time in the World Endurance Championship when he defends his title at 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.
After that the double F1 World Champion plans are not yet known.
In fact even Alonso says he has yet to decide but it doesn’t look as if a return to Formula 1 is an option given that he’s finding this year’s championship to be pretty much a repeat of last year’s.
Asked if he is missing F1, he told Marca: “I do not miss it very much, I’m watching all the races, but it’s more of the same.
“Some teams have gotten a bit worse like Haas or Renault, others have improved liked McLaren or Alfa Romeo, but Mercedes is first, Ferrari second and Red Bull third and that we have been seeing for many, many years.
“F1 is so decided by the performance of the car that after so many years it is not missed. It is more or less the same.”
As for the Dakar, the Spaniard recently tested with Giniel de Villiers and Toyota in South Africa.
Formula 1 ✅
World Endurance Championship ✅
— ToyotaUK (@ToyotaUK) April 12, 2019
But while he says it was “fun”, that doesn’t mean the Dakar is an option especially not if he wants to be competitive.
“South Africa was fun, but I also tried the MotoGP and never thought about it – it’s one thing to have fun and another to commit to a career at the highest level to try to do it right.
“The Dakar or not Dakar at the moment is on standby because I do not have the information of how competitive I can be in such a challenge, in one of the toughest races in the world.”