‘Another few weeks’ to resolve Hulkenberg’s plans

Date published: September 27 2019

Nico Hulkenberg Renault

Nico Hulkenberg has revealed it will still be “another few weeks” for his 2020 plans are set in stone.

Earlier this year Renault announced that the German would be leaving the team at the end of this season, his seat going to French racer Esteban Ocon.

Immediately reports emerged claiming that Hulkenberg could be heading to Haas, however, that failed to transpire in part, at least according to the rumour mill, to his salary demands.

As such Hulkenberg’s Formula 1 options are limited for 2020.

Only Williams, Alfa Romeo, Red Bull and Toro Rosso have yet to confirm their plans, although Red Bull have ruled out signing the German while rumours suggest Antonio Giovinazzi will be handed a second seat at Alfa.

The 32-year-old, speaking ahead of this weekend’s Russian Grand Prix in Sochi, says he expects to finalise his plans in the coming weeks.

He told Motorsport Week: “Well the ideal [situation] would be that it’s all done now and we move on.

“It’s not done yet. I think it’s a matter of another few weeks.

“I don’t think it will take that much longer to be honest

“Obviously the sooner the better, it’s good for everyone to have clarity but as of now it’s nothing yet.

“But hopefully in a couple of weeks’ time we’ll have clearance about that.

“But as of now it’s not decided, not confirmed.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.