Binotto: Giovinazzi not ready for Ferrari seat

Date published: May 15 2020

Antonio Giovinazzi almost sealed his Alfa Romeo fate after crashing out at Spa.

Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto has said Antonio Giovinazzi was not an option to replace Sebastian Vettel next season.

According to Sky Sport Italia, Giovinazzi was on the shortlist for 2021 given his current Ferrari connections and he was viewed as the safest option for the Scuderia if they wanted to avoid any potential conflict between their two drivers in the years to come.

But, Binotto believes Giovinazzi still needs to develop and gain more experience, stating that a step up to Ferrari is a leap too far at this stage.

“Antonio is a someone who I respect a lot,” Binotto is quoted as having told Sky Sport Italia.

“Last year he did his first season in Formula 1, so I think to go to Ferrari after a year is too much responsibility.

“We count on his development and will help him with that of course. He’s part of our plans, but he still has to collect experience in Formula 1.”

Giovinazzi still has a working relationship with Ferrari but is not a fully-fledged member of the Ferrari Driver Academy, where the likes of Mick Schumacher, Giuliano Alesi, Marcus Armstrong, Callum Ilott, Robert Shwartzman, Arthur Leclerc and Enzo Fittipaldi are all housed.

Once the 2020 season gets underway, Giovinazzi will spend a second campaign alongside Kimi Raikkonen hoping to build on the stronger run of form he achieved in the second half of 2019.

Check out this brand new video from our friends at Racing Statistics. A head-to-head between Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton:

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.