Five years after his first Haas test, Antonio Giovinazzi was back with the team at Monza on Friday – hoping his FP1 run will result in a return to the grid for 2023.
Giovinazzi left Formula 1 at the end of last season after a rather unsuccessful three years racing with Alfa Romeo saw the team drop him in favour of an all-new line-up.
Scoring 14 points in his debut campaign, he managed only four the next season and three in his final year.
But while Alfa Romeo said goodbye to the Italian he remained a member of the Ferrari squad, joining Mick Schumacher as their official reserve driver for 2022.
As such, the Scuderia asked Haas, who are powered by Ferrari engines, to put him in the car for a couple of Friday practice sessions.
The Italian was in action at Monza during FP1 where he was 18th quickest, just three tenths of a second slower than regular Haas driver Kevin Magnussen.
The 28-year-old is hoping his Friday outings will put him back in the Formula 1 shop window.
Asked if it was a possibility, he said: “I don’t know. It’s not a question you will ask me.
“I want to be here next year, for sure. It’s not a secret. But it’s not in my hands.
“So let’s see what we can do. For now, I focus on doing a great job in these two sessions. One is over. Then we have another one.”
Giovinazzi is due to drive again at the United States Grand Prix next month.
He added: “I know if I’m doing a good job it’s a possibility there’s a chance there.
“But it’s not in my hands. So let’s see what we can do in Austin.
“I think the team was happy, Guenther [Steiner, team principal] was happy, so I’m happy as well. And then see what we can do.”
Giovinazzi had been linked to Schumacher’s Haas race seat after the announcement of his FP1 runs. However, of late it has been suggested he is only in the car because Ferrari wanted him to have some track time in the new-spec cars.
— Haas F1 Team (@HaasF1Team) September 9, 2022
The Scuderia have already confirmed Robert Shwartzman for their two FP1 rookie driver outings.
“For us, it’s Robert Shwartzman that will do our two FP1s,” said Ferrari race director Laurent Mekies.
As for Giovinazzi’s plans if Formula 1 does not work out for him, he said: “It’s not a secret that WEC is a good chance for me. I would like to do it.
“But let’s focus now to come back here and then see.”