Bottas not worried about 2020 drive

Date published: November 23 2018

Valtteri Bottas not worried about 2020 drive

Valtteri Bottas says he’s not worried about losing his Mercedes seat at the end of next season despite reports claiming it is going to Esteban Ocon.

When Mercedes were handing out new contracts earlier this year, Hamilton got a two year stay, Bottas received only one year but with an option for a second.

The second would be 2020, the year that Mercedes junior driver Ocon will reportedly have a “good” race seat in Formula 1 according to Toto Wolff.

Wolff’s comments have led to speculation that after spending a year on the sidelines in 2019, acting as Mercedes’ reserve driver, Ocon will be handed a race seat with the championship-winning team.

Bottas insists he’s not worried about the rumours.

Asked about it in Abu Dhabi, the Finn said: “In Formula One there is all sorts of talk, and it’s only natural that every driver wants to use every opportunity.

“But it’s not my job to worry about that.

“I have an excellent relationship with everyone on the team, including Toto. We hide nothing from one another.

“If next year I achieve my goals and the goals of the team, then everything will be fine. If not, the team will rightly decide that I am not performing well enough.

“That’s the way it should be in sports.”