Sainz/Norris contracts not a ‘big issue’

Date published: May 2 2020

Lando Norris played a part in allowing Carlos Sainz to shine.

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl says signing Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz to new deals is not a “big issue”.

With Formula 1 operations shut down there hasn’t been regular talks between McLaren and their drivers, Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, about new contracts beyond 2020.

Sainz is being heavily linked with Vettel’s seat at Ferrari, while Norris’ solid debut campaign last year and strong social media following would likely make him hot property if he was available.

But Seidl has no concerns about the situation and says nothing has changed regarding McLaren’s approach to the contracts.

“Our position hasn’t really changed on how we want to approach that for the future within McLaren with Carlos and Lando,” he is quoted by F1i.com.

“Of course we would have liked to have some races under the belt and then sit together to make a decision on both sides but I don’t think that is a big issue at the moment.”

Seidl says he has stayed in regular contact with both drivers and they are desperate for racing to resume.

“Regarding our two drivers we know from Carlos that he is doing a lot of training and communicating about that which is great to see then we are in regular contact with both of them,” he explained.

“I keep them up to date with what is going on with the regulation side and what is going on with the discussions on the race calendar.

“But at the same time, with the pay cut that both guys have taken, it is great to see they are staying connected to the guys in this difficult period, it is great to see the spirit is high between these two guys.

“We all miss the competitive environment where we want to be, fighting it out on track, so they are obviously desperate to get back to the factory and back out on track as soon as possible.”

Get your hands on the official McLaren 2020 collection via the Formula 1 store