Ferrari will have the same line up for four years running having confirmed that Carlos Sainz has signed a two-year extension.
The Spaniard joined Ferrari last season in a two-year deal, teaming up with Charles Leclerc in arguably one of the more exciting partnerships on the grid.
Sainz surprised many, but justified Ferrari’s belief in him, when he beat his team-mate last season, taking four podiums to Leclerc’s one.
The tables have turned in the early part of this year’s championship with Leclerc the dominant force with two race wins and three podiums in total. Sainz has just two.
Ferrari, though, are keeping faith the 27-year-old, signing him to a new two-year contract.
“I am very happy to have renewed my contract with Scuderia Ferrari,” said the former McLaren driver.
“I have always said that there is no better Formula 1 team to race for and after over a year with them, I can confirm that putting on this race suit and representing this team is unique and incomparable.
“My first season at Maranello was solid and constructive, with the whole group progressing together. The result of all that work has been clear to see so far season.
“I feel strengthened by this renewed show of confidence in me and now I can’t wait to get in the car, to do my best for Ferrari and to give its fans plenty to cheer about.
“The F1-75 is proving to be a front-runner, which can allow me to chase my goals on track, starting with taking my first Formula 1 win.”
Very happy to renew two more years with @ScuderiaFerrari! Putting on this suit and representing this team is a great honour for me. Ferrari is fighting again at the front of the field and I’ll give it all to try and win both Championships! Vamos!💪🏼🏎
— Carlos Sainz (@Carlossainz55) April 21, 2022
The announcement means Ferrari will retain the same line up for four years running as Leclerc’s current deal also runs until the end of the 2024 season.
Team boss Mattia Binotto believes Sainz has shown during his time with Ferrari why he is half of the “best driver pairing” on the grid.
“I have said several times that I believe we have the best driver pairing in Formula 1 and so, with every passing race, it seemed a completely natural step to extend Carlos’ contract, thus ensuring stability and continuity,” he said.
“In his time so far with the team, he has proved to have the talent we expected from him, delivering impressive results and making the most of all opportunities.
“Outside the car, he is a hard worker with an eye for the smallest detail, which has helped the whole group to improve and progress.
“Together, we can aim for ambitious targets and I’m sure that, along with Charles, he can play a significant part in fuelling the Ferrari legend and will write new chapters in the history of our team.”
Ferrari confirm Sainz for a further two years
Ferrari and Carlos Sainz have agreed to a two-year contract extension.