‘At the moment, it looks like we’re going to China’

Date published: February 11 2020

Chinese-GP-flag-PA

Mercedes boss, Toto Wolff, has said it is still business as usual in preparing for the Chinese Grand Prix despite the coronavirus outbreak.

The global death toll has now reached 1,000 and a whole host of sporting events have been cancelled following the advice of the Shanghai Sports Federation.

However, Formula 1 and the FIA are yet to make an announcement on the Formula 1 race, scheduled for April 19, in the hope that it can still go ahead.

Whilst everyone waits for a final decision, Wolff is still preparing to go and has continued on with applying for his Chinese visa.

“In terms of China Formula E was cancelled,” Wolff said at Mercedes’ W11 livery launch event.

“They are about [four] weeks, I believe, before us, and they cancelled last week. So I would very much hope that we go to China.

“After this I’m going to the Chinese embassy for my biometric scan. At the moment everything looks like we are going to China.”

While Wolff said it would be a “shame” to see the Chinese Grand Prix cancelled, he understands that the health and safety of all involved is of paramount importance.

“Not going would be a shame,” Wolff added.

“We had full grandstands last year, it was sold out. China starts to become a really important market in terms of the fan followership, we have great activities in Shanghai around the race, and not going there would obviously not be great for the fans and ourselves.

“But health comes first, and I hope that they get in control of that. That’s the bigger priority.”

More updates could come over the course of the week with race organisers, Juss Sports, set to re-open their Shanghai office following a break for the Chinese New Year.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.