Daimler boss: We’re not leaving Formula 1

Date published: November 19 2020

Mercedes W11 celebration

Daimler CEO Ola Kallenius has been quick to rubbish suggestions that Mercedes could quit Formula 1 after wrapping up a seventh championship double.

Mercedes won this year’s Constructors’ Championship at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix where a 1-2 finish handed the team a seventh successive teams’ title.

One race later Lewis Hamilton clinched the Drivers’ crown, Mercedes’ seventh in a row and his sixth with the Brackley squad.

But while earlier in the year some pundits claimed a seventh success for Mercedes could open the door to the team’s exit, Kallenius insists that’s not happening.

“We’re not leaving Formula 1,” Grandpx.news quotes him as having told Auto Motor und Sport.

“Just because Bayern Munich has won a number of championship titles doesn’t mean they stop.

“We’re not stopping either.”

Get your hands on the official Mercedes 2020 collection via the Formula 1 store

Lewis Hamilton 7

Kallenius says Mercedes benefit from Formula 1, not only through the team’s success and the publicity that garners.

“In Formula 1 we can test hybrid technology and new fuels,” he said.

Since buying the championship-winning Brawn GP team in 2010, Mercedes has won 102 races, taken seven Drivers’ World titles, four of which have been 1-2 results with the team on course for a fifth this season, as well as seven Constructors’ crowns.

This year, with their seventh teams’ title, the team set a new record for the most consecutive Constructors’ Championship, beating Ferrari’s previous record of six.

Mercedes has signed up for Formula 1’s new Concorde Agreement, putting pen to paper on a new deal back in August.

The new Agreement runs from 2021 to 2025.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.