Esteban Ocon says Renault’s R.S.20 is now a “very different” car to the one they brought to Australia, saying some of the parts haven’t been driven before.
Team boss Cyril Abiteboul has confirmed already that three upgrades which were planned for the original 2020 schedule have all been made available for the R.S.20 at the new season-opener in Austria next weekend.
And Ocon, who will be making his Renault debut at the Red Bull Ring, confirmed this and explained how it will now be a “very different” car that Renault unleash in Round 1.
“Of course there’s been a lot of work going on before the factories have been shut down,” he is quoted by Racefans.net.
“The car is going to very different to the one we were supposed to arrive with in Australia, which is also crazy because some of the parts we will never have driven.
“But that’s exciting. It’s going to be a hell of a data gathering [exercise] on Friday to see where we have improved, how everything is going to feel. And also for us getting back to speed in the 2020 car. So it’s going to be very different but I look forward to it.”
And the Frenchman admits that the delayed start to this season did make him feel like everything was “against” him.
“It’s been so long, a year and a half, it’s just crazy,” he said.
“It seems like everything is going against me for the restart.
“It’s been way too long, for sure. The wait last year was very difficult.
“This year it’s different, it’s a different feeling because I’m into a great team, I have a great challenge ahead with a competitive car and I look forward to the restart, for sure.
“But having that in mind, you have a target which is very different to when you are trying to find a challenge ahead of you. So I knew what I was working for, I knew how much I wanted and I’m hungry to restart for sure.”