F1 2022 results: Hungarian Grand Prix – Qualifying
Here are the final results from the critical qualifying session for the Hungarian Grand Prix at the Hungaroring, where Mercedes have claimed pole…
Mercedes’ George Russell has claimed his maiden pole position in Formula 1, setting a 1:17.377 right at the very end of the Q3 session.
With Ferrari seemingly set for a front-row lock-out with Carlos Sainz ahead of Charles Leclerc, Russell clocked a surprise lap to pip Sainz by just 0.044 seconds.
It was a disastrous session for Red Bull, with a power issue preventing Max Verstappen from setting a final lap after he made an error during his first run. The championship leader will start the race from 10th on the grid.
The big scalp knocked out in Q2 was Red Bull’s Sergio Perez in 11th, with the Mexican failing to put in a strong lap after some confusion over track limits on his first run in Q2. Initially having his time deleted, his lap was reinstated but he failed to improve enough on his second run after feeling blocked by Haas’ Kevin Magnussen.
Joining Perez on the sidelines were Magnussen, Alfa Romeo’s Zhou Guanyu, Haas’ Mick Schumacher, and Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll.
Eliminated from Q1 were AlphaTauri’s Yuki Tsunoda and Pierre Gasly in 16th and 19th respectively, Williams’ Alex Albon in 17th with Nicholas Latifi in 20th, while Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel was knocked out in 18th and disappointed after his team managed to get his car repaired in time after the four-time World Champion crashed in FP3.
Read our complete report into what happened on track during the qualifying session for the 2022 Hungarian Grand Prix.
- George Russell Mercedes 1:17.377
- Carlos Sainz Ferrari +0.044
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.190
- Lando Norris McLaren +0.392
- Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.641
- Fernando Alonso Alpine +0.701
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.765
- Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.780
- Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +1.002
- Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +1.446
- Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:17.703
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.065
- Fernando Alonso Alpine +0.201
- Carlos Sainz Ferrari +0.243
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.332
- Lando Norris McLaren +0.418
- George Russell Mercedes +0.451
- Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +0.495
- Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.513
- Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.742
- Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +0.813
- Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +0.870
- Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.122
- Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.434
- Mick Schumacher Haas +1.499
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:18.374
- George Russell Mercedes +0.033
- Carlos Sainz Ferrari +0.060
- Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +0.135
- Lando Norris McLaren +0.279
- Fernando Alonso Alpine +0.342
- Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +0.401
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.432
- Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.492
- Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.561
- Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +0.599
- Kevin Magnussen Haas +0.619
- Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +0.744
- Mick Schumacher Haas +0.790
- Lance Stroll Aston Martin +0.831
- Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +0.866
- Alex Albon Williams +0.882
- Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +0.899
- Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +1.153
- Nicholas Latifi Williams +1.196