Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton put in a late flyer to finish as fastest driver in first practice in Singapore, ahead of Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
Verstappen had looked untouchable throughout most of the hour of practice to kick off the Singapore Grand Prix weekend, with the Dutch driver asserting himself at the front ahead of Red Bull teammate Sergio Perez.
However, as the darkness set in and the artificial lighting took over to illuminate Marina Bay, both Charles Leclerc and Lewis Hamilton hauled themselves into the midst of the Red Bulls – with Hamilton even managing to pip Verstappen.
On the Soft tyre, Hamilton set a 1:43.033 to beat Verstappen by just 0.084 seconds – some four-tenths clear of the Ferrari of Leclerc, who had a tough start to the session as he encountered some brake issues on his F1-75.
Verstappen, as well as George Russell and Carlos Sainz, all had off-track moments during the session, all of them escaping without damage, but Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll brought out the red flags as he hit the barrier exiting Turn 4 – his engineer telling him to pull over and stop the car as a result of his wheel being knocked askew.
Max finds himself pushing a bit too hard and runs deep 😲
— Formula 1 (@F1) September 30, 2022
FP1 (First Practice) Results – 2022 Singapore Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:43.033
- Max Verstappen Red Bull +0.084
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.402
- Sergio Perez Red Bull +0.806
- George Russell Mercedes +1.033
- Carlos Sainz Ferrari +1.105
- Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.703
- Lance Stroll Aston Martin +2.188
- Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +2.225
- Fernando Alonso Alpine +2.303
- Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +2.321
- Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +2.691
- Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +2.692
- Kevin Magnussen Haas +2.995
- Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +3.048
- Alex Albon Williams +3.086
- Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +3.375
- Mick Schumacher Haas +3.568
- Lando Norris McLaren +3.647
- Nicholas Latifi Williams +4.059