Red Bull’s Sergio Perez has won the 2022 Singapore Grand Prix, weathering a race of intense pressure and changeable weather conditions.
Perez held his nerve throughout the entire two-hour duration of the Singapore Grand Prix, having taken the lead on the run to Turn 1.
The Mexican driver had to weather intense pressure throughout the entire race, with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc breathing down his neck for almost the whole duration – particularly following the switch to slick tyres in the final quarter of the Grand Prix.
With Perez coming home as the victor, the two Ferrari drivers took the rest of the podium as Leclerc had the measure of Carlos Sainz.
However, Perez is under investigation for an alleged Safety Car infringement – the stewards are set to examine the incident following the race.
Max Verstappen, who started from eighth place, had a dramatic race that started with him falling to 12th on the opening lap. Slowly clawing his way to fifth during the first half, the reigning World Champion made an uncharacteristic error while tackling Lando Norris for fourth place – taking to the escape area and being forced to pit for fresh tyres after the dramatic lock-up.
The results mean that the Drivers’ Championship will continue on until the Japanese Grand Prix, when Verstappen will have his next opportunity to seal the title.
Classification: 2022 Singapore Grand Prix
- Sergio Perez Red Bull 60 Laps
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +7.595
- Carlos Sainz Ferrari +15.305
- Lando Norris McLaren +26.133
- Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +58.282
- Lance Stroll Aston Martin +61.330
- Max Verstappen Red Bull +63.825
- Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +65.032
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +66.515
- Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +74.576
- Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +93.844
- Kevin Magnussen Haas +97.610
- Mick Schumacher Haas +1 Lap
- George Russell Mercedes +2 Laps
- Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri DNF
- Esteban Ocon Alpine DNF
- Alex Albon Williams DNF
- Fernando Alonso Alpine DNF
- Nicholas Latifi Williams DNF
- Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo DNF