Ferrari have claimed a 1-2 in second practice in Singapore, with Carlos Sainz topping the results sheet ahead of Charles Leclerc.
Ferrari have responded to the pace shown by Mercedes and Red Bull in first practice, with the Scuderia taking the top two positions in the more representative nighttime session for second practice.
Carlos Sainz put in a 1:42.587 to go half a second quicker than Lewis Hamilton’s fastest time from the earlier time, two-tenths clear of teammate Charles Leclerc.
George Russell finished in third, despite replicating his first practice mistake and sliding straight on into the escape area at Turn 14 early in the session. His time was three-tenths away from Sainz, and 0.015 clear of Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
The Dutch driver sat out a large portion of the session, due to Red Bull making extensive changes to the suspension setup after issues on the RB18. He put in a late qualifying simulation to climb the order from 15th to go fourth quickest.
Earlier pacesetter Hamilton finished in fifth, a further quarter of a second behind.
There were no red flag interruptions during the second practice hour, although Pierre Gasly had a moment of drama as the airbox on his AlphaTauri briefly caught fire as he was wheeled into his garage – the team quickly putting out the flames as the French driver leaped clear.
FP2 (Second Practice) Results – 2022 Singapore Grand Prix
- Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:42.587
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.208
- George Russell Mercedes +0.324
- Max Verstappen Red Bull +0.339
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.595
- Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.825
- Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.844
- Fernando Alonso Alpine +0.933
- Sergio Perez Red Bull +1.319
- Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.395
- Lando Norris McLaren +1.426
- Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +1.882
- Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.835
- Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +1.882
- Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +1.937
- Alex Albon Williams +2.557
- Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +2.624
- Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +2.860
- Mick Schumacher Haas +3.036
- Nicholas Latifi Williams +3.966