Check out the results from the second practice session in Barcelona, where Max Verstappen picked up where he left off in the morning session.
Following on from his domination of the morning session at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Max Verstappen remained at the front at the end of Friday’s running following the second hour of practice.
The Dutch driver popped in a 1:13.907 on the soft tyre compound to finish just under two-tenths of a second clear of Fernando Alonso’s Aston Martin – the Spaniard putting in an impressive display at the wheel of his updated AMR23.
But it was Nico Hulkenberg who put in the most eye-catching lap of the day as the Haas driver finished the afternoon in third place. The German driver put in a 1:14.177 on the soft tyre compound to finish just 0.270 down on Verstappen’s time and wound up ahead of the other Red Bull as Sergio Perez could only manage fourth.
Having sent their drivers out running different configurations of the SF-23 in the morning, both Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz ran the new upgrades in the afternoon. Both encountered bouncing and saw a return of porpoising – albeit to a lesser extent than what was visible last year – with Leclerc finishing the day in sixth and 0.028s ahead of home hero Sainz.
Esteban Ocon, who had been third in the morning, wound up fifth for Alpine, with the French driver complaining about the deployment on his A523.
George Russell was the quickest Mercedes driver as he took the chequered flag with the eighth-fastest time, with Lewis Hamilton in 11th and two-tenths of a second further back.
2023 Spanish Grand Prix Second Practice (FP2) Results:
- 1. Max Verstappen Red Bull 1:13.907
- 2. Fernando Alonso Aston Martin +0.170
- 3. Nico Hulkenberg Haas +0.270
- 4. Sergio Perez Red Bull +0.312
- 5. Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.335
- 6. Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.339
- 7. Carlos Sainz Ferrari +0.367
- 8. George Russell Mercedes +0.485
- 9. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.541
- 10. Pierre Gasly Alpine +0.550
- 11. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.642
- 12. Oscar Piastri McLaren +0.676
- 13. Guanyu Zhou Alfa Romeo +0.678
- 14. Lando Norris McLaren +0.787
- 15. Kevin Magnussen Haas +0.806
- 16. Nyck De Vries AlphaTauri +0.878
- 17. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +0.933
- 18. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.103
- 19. Alex Albon Williams +1.149
- 20 Logan Sargeant Williams +1.508